The country needs a front, which will be something more than just the sum of To Potami and PASOK. This front must actually be a new political Movement that will rally all those citizens who suffocate from the existing conservative and populist policies that are being implemented. It needs a strong Movement, that will define developments and give solutions.
In February, To Potami decided that the country needs a new major front, which will be representing the forces of political liberalism, social-democracy, ecology and the reformist left. The country needs a front, which will be something more than just the sum of To Potami and PASOK. This front must actually be a new political Movement that will rally all those citizens who suffocate from the existing conservative and populist policies that are being implemented. It needs a strong Movement, that will define developments and give solutions.
This is why, in March, Stavros Theodorakis suggested the establishment of a Dialogue Committee. The only condition would be that all political parties, movements and personalities from the entire spectrum, from New Democracy to SYRIZA, would be participating in this Committee. Despite the initial vacillation of the leadership of PASOK, we finally managed to establish this Dialogue Committee, where representatives from Drasi, To Potami, the Democratic Alignment, the Ecologists, Diktyo, along with independent personalities joined their forces, seeking the solutions that the Greek society needs.
Through their public speech, To Potami members have been trying, for six months, to convince the progressive citizens, the young people of the country that they can be the ones to lead this major change that the country needs. The major democratic space does not require neither protectors, nor owners. It should no longer be a breeding ground for looting, whether this comes from the right or the left.
The destruction that started ever since the SYRIZANEL government assumed power forces us to leave our differences behind and join forces, given that we have been self-critical and admitted the mistakes and malaise of the past. In this path to the resurrection, some need to retire, other needs to take a step back, while some need to take a step forward. Besides, this space has repeatedly proven that it can create personalities, with European values and the will to offer. Personalities that can inspire and emancipate the society. To Potami, PASOK, as well as other liberal and social-democratic forces do have personalities like these.
After six months of searching common place, while also pointing out the differences, it is now time for decisions. We can establish a new political Movement that will unite all forces. Unity, refreshment and political plan. Our answer is “we can”!
We enumerate below the list of procedures that need to follow. Open procedures, with political transparency, as well as enough time which will enable the highest possible participation of citizens. There is only one condition, in order to skip the leakage and whispers, which breed an unhealthy environment and undermine the entire attempt. This condition is that “Everything must be open”.
- An electoral coordinating committee, with representatives from all political parties and movements that wish to be part of this attempt, must be established.
- All interested candidates must formally express their interest to run as candidate leader of the new Movement.
- There should be a three-month pre-electoral period, following the submission of candidacies, when candidates will be given the chance to present their plan for the recovery of the country, as well as the ideologies that they represent.
- Organization of debates, in every district of the country, if possible, so that the candidates’ opinions and proposals can also be discussed at a local level.
- Elections must be held, with e-ballot boxes. All citizens who are registered in the electoral rolls must be able to take part in the elections.
- If no candidates gets 50% + 1, then the process must be repeated within 21 days. In this second round of elections, citizens who did not participate in the first round have the right to vote.
- The new leader will be in charge of the parliamentary groups that participated in the process.
- Three months following the election of the new leader, there will be a convention, where the political ideology of the new Movement will be defined, along with the statutory text and the institutions of the new Movement.
- The participants in the convention will be elected, with procedures similar to those implemented for the election of the leader.
- The political parties that take part in this process, will put an end to their separate political activity, as soon as the new leader is elected.
- The new leader and the newly elected institutions will lead the Movement to national elections.
The above can be discussed by those that will participate in this joint attempt. Mutually accepted regulations can be negotiated.
With the conclusion of the agreement, there can be a joint press conference of Fofi Gennimata and Stavros Theodorakis, between 19 and 24 of September. The two politicians will be able to give answers during this press conference.
Electing a new leader is not a typical process and it should not end up being a contest of political party mechanisms. It is an opportunity for us to re-address society, point out solutions and proposals, and invite fresh people over to our space. We must point out our differences, but also our similarities.
The problems that this country faces force us to overcome our hesitation and compromise with half-hearted solutions.
We need to change the country, we need to change its path, we need to date. We must join forces with citizens who want hope and perspective.